History of our School

Short History of Queen's Park High School

On June 28th 1883, a public school was established in Woodstock. Neil MacKay was elected principal of the first school.

The school was held in the Presbyterian Hall for nearly ten years. The attendance was increasing and it felt necessary to

procure a more suitable building for the school.

 

In 1892, the management purchased the Masonic Hall building in Victoria Walk. The highest attendance had been reached

and the managers were compelled to look for a more suitable accommodation. They purchased its current site in Roodebloem

Road, where a new school was erected. The foundation stone was laid on the 15th November 1905.

 

The Balfour Street School then became the first Woodstock High School under the new Principal, Mr C.M. Cooper.

In 1955, Woodstock High School was renamed Queen's Park High School. Over the next 55 years, a number of men would be at the helm.

W.C. Ferguson(1937-1964), R.B. Redelinhys(1965-1977), G. Gilmour(1978-1988), M.P. Van Haght(1995-1998), P.A. Roman(2000-2008),

the incumbent principal is C. Leetz.

 

In 1990, Queen's Park High was one of the first government schools to adopt a non-racial admissions policy, thus becoming a multi-racial school.

Freedom of a good quality education and equality is what still makes Queen's Park High a highly regarded academic institution.